Winnipeg families will have something else to celebrate when they ring in the new year – more affordable transit service for kids too young to stay at home alone.
Effective January 1, 2021, Winnipeg Transit will offer fare-free travel for children age 11 and under who are accompanied by a fare-paying customer.
While proof of age is not required under the new policy, children riding for free under the program must board and exit the bus at the same locations as the fare-paying customer they are riding with.
The Council-approved program is designed to eliminate financial barriers to public transit for families with children too young to stay at home alone, and encourage members of the next generation to choose public transit.
Winnipeg’s City Council has approved fare-free travel on Winnipeg Transit for children under the age of 12 beginning in January 2021.
The following details below come from a report – Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works on October 15, 2020. To read the complete document CLICK HERE.
In Manitoba, children under the age of 12 are not allowed to be unsupervised. To help alleviate the cost of transit service for families, Council approved the implementation of a program that would allow children under the age of 12 (0 -11 years of age) to ride Winnipeg Transit for free aspart of the 2020 budget.
For clarity and consistency with existing programs, Transit will refer to the eligible age group as
11 and under.
Transit recommends the program policy be as follows:
• Children aged 11 years old or under are eligible.
• All children 11 and under participating in this program must be accompanied by a fare paying customer.
• This program is intended to help families and as such school and organization-led excursions are not eligible.
• The fare paying customer and the children riding with them are required to board and leave the bus at the same stops.
• If accompanied by a fare paying customer the children do not need to have a peggo card or carry any specialized ID to ride for free.
• Children not accompanied by a fare paying customer would be required to pay the appropriate fare amount.