Red River Mutual Trail
Experience a Winnipeg tradition and skate, walk, run, or sled your way along The Red River Mutual Trail. Starting in the heart of the city, the Guinness World Record-holding longest naturally frozen skating trail in the world offers the unique experience of seeing the sights of Winnipeg from the frozen Red and Assiniboine Rivers.
The Red River Mutual Trail is about more than just skating. Venture out and enjoy a variety of outdoor activities: walking, curling, hockey, rugby, family activities, cycling, broomball, and more. Join us for special events the whole family can enjoy on select weekends throughout the winter.
Warming Huts v.2019: An Art & Architecture Competition on Ice Presented by Artis REIT
Spot five new, one-of-a-kind huts out on the trail this year, including a performance pavilion, complete with performace by Terje Isungset, ice musician from Norway, performing using instruments created out of ice from the Red River. For more information, visit warminghuts.com
Visit our online Calendar of Events for a complete list of all events happening at The Forks.
Red River Mutual Trail Tips
- Be sure to enter and exit the trail from the designated access points. The riverbank is unstable along certain sections and may not be safe to use.
- Find out what trail conditions are like by checking this website. It will be updated daily with grooming reports, closures, and trail conditions.
- Check the wind direction. You may not feel the wind if it’s at your back, but it may be an issue when skating in to it.
- Know your limits. 5 kilometres is nice trek, but remember it’s also 5 kilometres back.
- Slow down when approaching the bridges. Sand from the streets above can sometimes fall onto the trail making it uneven.
- Remember the river is a moving organic entity. Surface cracks can appear anywhere along the trail. Be vigilant.
- On snowfall days please stay off the trail until we can clear it. Packed snow is very hard to remove.
- Watch out for flooding machines, tractors and Zambonis.
- Respect private property and stay away from outfalls and thin ice signs.
- If you have garbage, keep it with you and dispose of it properly.
- Furry friends are welcome, but please keep them on-leash and ensure you clean up after them.
Skate Rentals are available from Iceland Skate Rentals located in The Forks Market from 10am to 10pm daily.
- Children and Seniors – $4
- Adults – $6
- Skate trainers are available – $3
- Skate sharpening available – $6
Call (204) 955-8814 for more information or to book your group’s skate rentals.